Sunday, December 26, 2010

Funny Christmas Stories

This year we stayed home for Christmas and we're going to visit family over New Year's. We decided that we were going to see if we had any friends that were going to be in town on Christmas Day night...to see if they wanted to have a dinner. It was awesome!!! Amanda cooked another moist turkey, my dressing wasn't too dry, we had cranberry sauce, broccoli, mac & cheese, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, deviled eggs, squash casserole, desserts...and I'm sure I'm missing something. It was a wonderful time with friends and I'm so glad that we did that!

Now onto my funny stories...Well, I'm not saying that I'm a chef or anything, but I do love to cook and for the most part things taste pretty good. I absolutely love Amanda's Mema's Sweet Potato Casserole recipe. It's so simple, but yet so yummy. Now, with that being said...I'm in love with marshmallows too. I decided to put a lot on top because they are so yummy. I placed it on the 2nd rack in the oven because the turkey and the dressing was still cooking. Next thing I know they are beginning to expand. Ha, I totally forgot that they expand when they get hot. So, I placed a piece of foil in the bottom of the oven just in case it were to spill over. Well, a minute or two later we realized that the marshmallows were touching the top rack, so we had to take them out and let them fall down a bit. In the meantime, I decided to put my Mom's Simple Apple Pie in the back of the 2nd rack to begin baking and to put the Sweet Potato Casserole in the toaster oven instead. Our friend Rachel showed up and all of the sudden I noticed in the oven that there was fire on the aluminum foil...and the only words I could get out to Amanda were "Party Foul, Party Foul" and they both were like what...and then I was like "Fire in the oven" so we proceeded to get the door open and try to blow out the fire and hope that the fire alarm didn't go off. Rachel opened the door and we were just laughing so hard. Little while later a few more people had shown up...and I noticed that the toaster oven was smoking. I walked over there and the marshmallows were totally burnt on the top of the Sweet Potato Casserole. I mean, all we could do was laugh at this point, but I do have to say that it still tasted very yummy!!!

Overall our Christmas was wonderful. Starting the day off with Regan kicking me like crazy, opening our presents, eating sausage balls, watching Emily on Video Chat see what Santa brought her, taking a nap, cooking a little bit, Amanda getting home and taking another nap, finishing the cooking, having friends over and just enjoying the day. It was a wonderful day. Now, I cannot wait for Wednesday to get here so I can be in Atlanta enjoying my family, celebrating my sister's birthday, and trying to make it to midnight to bring in the New Year!

Cannot wait to see what 2011 will bring...we have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be wonderful! ;)

No comments: